Job Opportunity: IT Technologist (Web & Mobile) – Tech 4 Development
Someone who buys into our vision of using digital technology and innovative business models to radically improve shopping experience in Uganda.
Tech 4 Development is a social enterprise that develops innovative digital solutions with the goal of addressing some of East Africans most pressing development challenges in a profitable way. Following in-depth research and business development over the last months, we are now about to launch our new brand and solution in Uganda. Our solution uses chatbots and a web-ecosystem to connect buyers and seller of high quality products and services in Kampala. Our methodology is deeply rooted in design thinking and lean startup principles. This means we spend a lot of time observing and talking with customers, formulating and testing assumptions about their needs, building prototypes, and continuously iterating on our solution and business model. We also believe in the merits of fast release cycles.
The Technologist should have motivation and a convincing track record in building exciting websites and/or mobile applications. But also someone who buys into our vision of using digital technology and innovative business models to radically improve shopping experience in Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, implement and test new features in our products.
- Actively participate in code reviews, bug tracking and fixing.
- Optimize performance of the digital solutions under development.
- Leverage digital tools to further the teams results and enhance growth.
- Explain technologies and solutions to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Support the Lead Technologists in other tasks whenever necessary.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidates should have already released exciting websites, apps, or software and that have with a minimum of 6 months of relevant work.
- In addition, candidates should be passionate to work in a fast-paced, creative, and culturally diverse environment while adapting quickly to changing needs and priorities.
- The ideal candidates should have worked with web and/or mobile technologies in the past and should be able to guide our team in all technology related decisions.
- Hands-on experience with a modern web framework, preferably Django.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of HTML5, CSS, Ajax, JSON.
- Previous experience with REST API design and implementation.
- Good OO skills and an understanding of design patterns.
- Strong SQL background, preferably MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Experience with version control systems GIT and/or Mercurial.
- Knowledge of data structures and algorithms, including performance considerations in software development.
- Decent debugging and optimization skills.
- Show commitment to social change and our vision for digital empowerment.
- Awareness of the technological challenges in the Ugandan context.
- Intellectual curiosity, positive attitude, and a desire to influence the products being built.
- Previous experience deploying/maintaining software remotely on a Linux or UNIX-like server is desired.
- Familiarity with chatbots is desired Previous experience working with agile development is an added advantage.
- Previous experience developing for Android/iOS is desired.
- Working knowledge of Google Cloud Platform and its services, such as but not limited to Appengine, Compute Engine, etc.
- Desire to contribute to the wider technical community through collaboration.
- Previous experience working on digital B2B or B2C eCommerce projects in East Africa is desired.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their updated CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to email@example.com.
We strongly encourage early application. Please use the same email address for any enquiries or to request supporting material.
Deadline for submission is 7th May, 2016 by mid-night.[related-posts]