Personal virtual private network (VPN) service provider; NordVPN has advised people on vacations not to over share their photos on social media platforms. According to the experts from the firm, sharing too much on social media while traveling can make that person a target of thieves.
“Although it’s fun to post vacation photos and let everyone know you’re having a cocktail on a sunny beach, that sends a clear signal to burglars that your home is empty,” said Ruby Gonzalez, Communications Director of NordVPN.
Ruby stated that even the people who feel sufficiently educated about online privacy still reveal their personal details online.
NordVPN found out that millennials (people born between 1982 to 2000) especially tend to post their travel plans as well as travel photos. By this, thieves target their homes while they are a way.
“In the age of digital oversharing, it’s still possible to make sure your friends see your vacation photos – but it’s important to be careful with privacy and to follow strict social media rules,” writes Norton.
Here are some tips that NordVPN listed:
- Wait till you get home to post your travel pictures.
- Make sure social media settings are private.
- Never share personal data such as; address, phone numbers, on social media platforms as they can be visible to everyone.
- Don’t overshare feelings, not only data. People who share their feelings on social media often get bullied, while others look on and allow harassment to happen.
- Use Virtual Private Network (VPNs) to hide your location.
source: Norton and inputs from ITNews Africa