On Thursday 27th, June 2019 government Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs) will be recognized for playing a remarkable role in availing online government service to the public — by awarding them the eGovernment Excellence Award.
The awards are to motivate these government MDAs to put more energy into efforts towards ramping digital services and taking more services online for ease of service delivery.
The awards are organized by the National Information Technology Association (NITA) Uganda. They are slated to take place at the Speke Resort, Muyonyo graced by the Prime Minister to Uganda; Rt. Hon. Ruhakana Rugunda. The Prime Minister confirmed his attendance in a closed meeting he held with NITA-U officials yesterday afternoon.
He reaffirmed the government’s commitment to using ICT to make government services more accessible.
NITA-U on Monday released a full list of the nominated government MDAs for the 2019 eGovernment Excellence Awards. The awards categories include; CIO of the year Award, eGov Citizen Choice Award, Outstanding Agency of the Year Award, and Outstanding Web-portal Award.
The official judges for the awards are; DFCU Group CEO; Matthias Katamba, Dr. Agnes Semwanga; an associate professor of Information Systems at Makerere University and Mr. Japheth Kawanguzi; Founder of The Innovation Village.
THE NOMINEES ARE:
1. CIO of the year Award
The award recognizes the Head of IT in any government MDA who has been exemplary in the delivery of their work.
- Anselm Olweny; Principal Registry and Information Officer at Electricity Regulatory Authority.
- Daniel Kalibala; Head of Information and Communication Technology at National Drug Authority.
- David Etuket; Head ICT at National Housing and Construction Company.
- David Kikabi; Principal Information Technology Officer at The Judiciary, Uganda.
- Dr. James Mubiru; IT Manager at Uganda Civil Aviation Authority.
- Dr. Joseph Kobushehe; Director Environment, Data Management and ICT at Petroleum Authority of Uganda.
- Martin Sekajja; Head Information Systems at Kampala Capital City Authority.
- Peter P. Wakabi-Waiswa; ICT Manager at Uganda National Examinations Board.
- Stephen Kisuze; Principal MIS Officer at National Medical Stores.
2. eGov Citizen Choice Award
The award recognizes the fovernment MDA whose website will have attained the most votes from the Public/Citizen for being the most useful/helpful in the citizenry’s lives.
- DCIC E-immigration System.
- Electoral Commission Online voter registration data.
- KCCA E-cite.
- Integrated Financial Management System (Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development).
- External Employment Management Information System (Ministry of Gender, Labor and Social Development).
- Online NWSC services.
- NSSF E-services.
- UNEB E-Services.
- URA E-Tax.
- URSB, Online Business Registration Services.
3. Outstanding Agency of the Year Award
The award recognizes the government MDA that is compliant to government of Uganda standards in the delivery of its e-services.
- Electricity Regulatory Authority.
- Ministry of Education and Sports.
- National Social Security Fund.
- Uganda Revenue Authority.
- National Medial Stores
4. Outstanding Web-portal Award
The award recognizes the government MDAs whose websites have achieved maturity in; Connected, Interactive, Informational and Local Government categories.
In the Connected category : Government Website that offers user centric end-to-end online transactional services in compliance with the NITA-U eGovernment Regulations.
- Kyambogo University.
- Uganda Registration Services Bureau.
- Makerere University.
- Uganda Revenue Authority.
- Kampala Capital City Authority.
In the Interactive category : Government Website that offers enhanced information services in compliance with the NITA-U eGovernment Regulations.
- Parliament of Uganda.
- Uganda Civil Aviation Authority.
- Uganda Police Force.
- Ministry of ICT and National Guidance.
- Uganda National Bureau of Standards.
In the Informational category : Government Website that offers essential information services with updated content in compliance with the NITA-U eGovernment Regulations.
- Uganda Management Institute.
- Directorate of Public Prosecutions.
- Office of the Prime Minister.
- Education Service Commission.
- Office of the Auditor General.
In the Local Government category
- Masindi Local Government.
- Bulambuli Local Government.
- Buikwe Local Government.
- Mbarara Local Government.
- Rakai Local Government.
5. Outstanding Sector eService Award
The award recognizes government electronic services that are the most innovative in transforming service delivery to Government, Citizens or Businesses in the following sectors;
Economic Infrastructure & Competitiveness sector:
- National Supplier Database (Petroleum Authority of Uganda).
- PDU E-transit Ladder (Uganda National Road Authority).
- Yaka (UMEME).
- Certified Installation Permit Holder Online Verification (Electricity Regulatory Authority).
- Computerized Driving Permit Application (Ministry of Works and Transport).
Tourism & Trade sector:
- Non-Tariff Barriers (NTB) Reporting System (Ministry of Trade, Industry and Cooperatives).
- Electronic One Stop Center web portal (eBiz) – Uganda Investment Authority.
- E-Registration (Uganda National Examinations Board).
- Integrated Information System (Ministry of Education and Sports).
- Makerere University E-Learning Environment.
- Electronic Patients Records Management System (Uganda Cancer Institute).
- Smart Care (National Medical Stores).
Human Development sector:
- External Employment Information System.
Accountability & Governance sector:
- Mobile Tax Payment Solution (Uganda Revenue Authority).
- NSSF GO (National Social Security Fund).
- Online Declaration System.
- Integrated Financial Management System.