Instagram has a feature dubbed ‘Nametags’ that allows users to find ones profile by simple scanning it. The feature is similar to Snapchat’s QR ‘Snapcode’ and was rolled out globally in October. However, while Snapcodes can be used to discover new friends, unlock Filters and Lenses, find new content, among others, Instagram’s Nametag is exclusively for finding and following new accounts.
The Nametag is scanned via the Instagram Stories camera to quickly follow one’s profile.
“Nametags could make it easier for people to visually promote their Instagram account. It could make it simple to follow a friend you just met by having them open their Nametag and then you scanning it,” Instagram told TechCrunch.
How to use the feature
There are two parts to using Instagram’s Nametag feature; Creating & customizing your own Nametag, and Scanning other peoples’ Nametags.
1. Creating and customizing your own Nametag
Open your Instagram profile and tap the menu icon in the top-right corner of the screen. This will open the sidebar menu where you can access the Nametag editor.
- From there, you can personalize your Nametag by changing colors, design, adding emoji, stickers, or even your selfies.
- Once your happy with your design, save it. You can then share it with your friends to have them follow you. And to do this, tap on arrow button to the top right of your Nametag >> from the options given you can then choose how to share.
2. Scanning someone else’ Instagram Nametag
This can be done in two ways.
- The first is to open your own Nametag from your Instagram profile and tap the “Scan a Nametag” button at the bottom of the screen. Hover the camera over the Nametag until it’s captured. If someone sent their Nametag by text message, just save the image >> open the Nametag editor from your profile >> tap “Scan a Nametag” button, and then tap the photo button in the top-right corner of the screen.
- The second way is to open the Instagram Stories camera and hover it over the Nametag you’re trying to scan. Just hold and press on the camera screen until the Nametag is captured. Once scanned, Instagram will give you the option to follow or view the user.