The Office of the Prime Minister this week formally unveiled a crowdfunding platform developed by the National Information Technology Authority Uganda (NITA-U) to mobilize resources and funds to boost the coronavirus fight in the country.
The online system enables every one with donations from as little as UGX1,000 to make a contribution at their convenience through the website or mobile phone. Payments are made using MTN and Airtel mobile money. A real-time fund counter shows a cumulative total contributions as they are being made.
In addition, donations are not limited to only money, but can be any other form of relief like; clothing, food, among others.
All contributors are automatically added to the honorable wall of contributors. It is this honorable list of contributors that periodically gets applauded by H.E President Yoweri Museveni.
So far, UGX 1,341,750 has been collected through this newly introduced crowdfunding platform — https://covid.pay.go.ug/.
How to donate;
- Open your preferred web browser and navigate/open the URL; https://covid.pay.go.ug/. This can be done on any internet enabled devices. (For those without access to any internet enabled devices, using a feature phone, dial *165*4*4# for MTN or *185*9# for Airtel to donate right from your mobile money account).
- When the site opens, select you donation representation, either as individual or organization.
- Indicate the amount of money your donating or items to be donated.
- For payments, choose to make payment either by MTN or Airtel mobile money. While for items, they should be delivered to the Office of the Prime Minister.
- Finally, select ‘Donate’ and your donation will be made to help those indeed. Hence, help in the fight against the pandemic, covid-19.
Notably, accessing the web portal covid19.gou.go.ug which has legitimate facts on the status of COVID-19 in the country currently confirms 160 cases tested posted but no death cases yet.