Andy Rubin’s bezel-less Essential Smartphone was unveiled in June this year and had promised to reach its customers in 30 days. However, the 30-day limit has come and gone. According to new online reports, Rubin has finally acknowledged the delay, and has claimed that the Essential Smartphone will be in the hands of the customers in a few weeks.
Google’s creator of Android, released an official statement on Essential Twitter account acknowledging the delay of the smartphone.
“The Essential Phone is now going through certification and testing with multiple US and international carriers, Rubin says. Furthermore, he confirmed that the smartphone will be shipped in a few weeks,” he said in a press statement.
We’ve been working around the clock to get our first device in your hands. See this update from Andy. pic.twitter.com/bm5xm5XRKS
— Essential (@essential) July 21, 2017
The phone has been reported to be made available in Black Moon, Stellar Grey, Pure White, and Ocean Depths color variants at a starting price of USD$699 (approx. 2.5Million UGX), or you can buy it with a 360-degree camera for USD$749 (approx. 2.6Million UGX).
Quoting Gadgets 360, the display is worth noting as it is edge-to-edge, with only a thin bottom bezel. The flushed camera design keeps the phone free of any unsightly bumps. The metal edges house the volume keys and power button on the right side of the smartphone. The Essential Phone is made of titanium and ceramic.
- The phone will pack an Android 7.1.1 Nougat based Essential Phone sports a 5.7-inch edge-to-edge QHD (1312×2560 pixels) display with 19:10 aspect ratio and Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection.
- It is powered by the 64-bit Snapdragon 835 octa-core (2.45GHz Quad + 1.9GHz Quad) processor with Adreno 540 GPU and 4GB RAM.
- Internal storage is limited to 128GB.
- There’s a 13-megapixel dual camera setup at the back with RGB and monochrome capabilities in each lens, with hybrid autofocus, phase detect, IR Laser Assist Focus, and 4K video support. At the front there is an 8-megapixel selfie sensor with f/2.2 aperture, 16:9 aspect ratio, and 4K video support here as well.
- The battery is at 3,040mAh with fast charging support.
- Connectivity options include 4G LTE, Bluetooth v5.0, Wi-Fi, NFC, GPS, USB Type-C port, Nano-SIM support, and GLONASS.