Job Opportunity: IT Assistant at Uganda Youth Network
Uganda Youth Network (UYONET) is a leading national youth organization that works to mainstream young peoples’ engagement in development and governance processes in Uganda and East Africa.
UYONET was started in 2002 to respond to the increasing demand for a collective platform for research, training and policy advocacy for young people by young people. Since its inception, UYONET has been positioning the youth to play a leading role in nation building by enhancing their visibility in policy and governance processes in Uganda and across East Africa.
UYONET envisions to “An empowered youth population participating in governance and development processes” and its Mission is “Building, empowering and sustaining a vibrant youth network through advocacy, coordination and capacity building”
As the IT Assistant, you will be in charge of the organization’s information and communication technology needs and shall be required to perform the following duties;
1. Provides Management of web pages, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Performs SharePoint web application troubleshooting.
- Keeps the website operating by following operating instructions, troubleshooting, maintaining, performing preventive maintenance, calling for repairs.
- Develops site content and graphics by coordinating with copywriters and graphic artists, designing images, icons, banners, audio enhancements.
- Tests the website and identify any technical problems.
- Add, deletes and edits the website pages.
- Upgrades site by updating content and graphics, monitoring performance and results.
- identifying and evaluating improvement options, introducing new technology, maintaining links.
- Provides information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data and trends.
- Make a backup copy of Website.
- Work closely with the Program Manager to produce Drafts documentation and reports for uploading on website.
2. Provides Network Administration and Security, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assists with the implementation of network projects and review of network configuration to ensure maximum efficiency and optimal usage of resources.
- Installs, operates and maintains multi-user information security systems including firewalls, malware detection/prevention systems, intrusion detection/prevention, network access controls, encryption, and content filtering systems in accordance as a security measure.
- Supports the management of network backup and security enforcement.
- Assists other staff personnel assigned to the Network Administration.
- Assists with the implementation of new and emerging technologies for voice, video, and data integration.
- Operates and maintains the various implemented Data Security projects with emphasis in network security, monitoring, resourcing.
- Ensures the proper administration of access control lists including rights and privileges; participates in the security incident response activities.
- Participates in planning, implementing, operating and maintaining security controls; performs regular vulnerability assessments of production systems to identify weaknesses to bring to the attention of Program Manager and ED.
3. Provides Service Installation and Support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Performs tasks related to scheduled service requests, including equipment replacement, equipment installation/de-installation, software installation, LAN connection, returns to stock, site surveys.
- Designs a newsletter and publications of the organization by using programs such as Adobe In Design, Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Diagnoses and resolves any hardware, software, or connectivity problem with minimum delay.
- Provides basic training to staff on the use of standard systems and software applications.
- Acts as problem escalation point for technical staff at lower levels.
- Detects problem patterns and recommends solutions and Provides training to junior technical staff.
- Performs software distribution updates, scripting, testing and support.
- Keeps with new developments in information systems and technology in order to make recommendations to supervisor.
- Performs desktop troubleshooting.
- Provides technical advice to staff when necessary and guidance including training to interns/volunteers and staff.
4. Provides Server Operations and Administration, focusing on the following results:
- Installs, configures, tests and deploys server hardware and software, including Local Area Network, Operating Systems, Electronic mail, Linux, Lotus Notes, Database systems, Internet Web software, firewall, Domain Name Server (DNS), and a security software.
- Performs administration, operation, technical support, and monitoring of server systems.
- Undertakes troubleshooting repairs and maintenance of server systems. If the problem persists, escalates to higher level in accordance with procedures.
- Assists in identifying the need for new systems or upgrading of the existing systems.
- Responds to requests from user components/departments and assists in deploying/configuring systems so as to conform to infrastructure standards.
- Implements backups of servers following standard backup procedures.
- Maintains the documentation of server systems, pertinent to operations and system administration.
- Works Collaboratively With Colleagues to Achieve Organizational Goals.
- Works collaboratively with the team to achieve organizational goals.
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing each other’s’ ideas and expertise.
- Is willing to learn from others.
- Places team agenda first.
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, shares credit for team
6. Planning, Organizing and Multi-Tasking
- Organizes and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships.
- Plans, coordinates and organizes workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines.
- Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs.
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff to facilitate the provision of support.
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Degree in IT from a credible University.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages.
- Competencies and skills.
- Commitment and willingness to continuous learning of new skills.
- Knowledge in hardware and software troubleshooting.
- Knowledge in Database Management Systems.
- Knowledge in Joomla CPanel, WordPress applications.
- Knowledge in network installation, configurations and troubleshooting.
- Knowledge in programming and application development.
- Good communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to draft a variety of correspondences.
- Ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively orally.
- Good interpersonal skills, ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships.
Provide detailed CV demonstrating possession of the Job requirements, current position, names and addresses of three referees i.e. email addresses and phone contacts, hard or soft copies of professional/academic documents including degree certificate and any other relevant professional certificate(s).
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
How to Apply:
If you have the relevant qualifications and experience, send your application to the address below:
THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
UGANDA YOUTH NETWORK
PLOT 55A KIMERA ROAD, NTINDA – KAMPALA –UGANDA
Applications can be sent in either Hard or Soft Copy to the address below.
The deadline for receiving applications is 24th August, 2016 at 5:00pm.