USB On-The-Go, often abbreviated as USB OTG or just OTG, are one of the most handy and exciting features for Android users that allows their devices to read data from other USB devices such as USB flash drives, digital cameras, mice or keyboards to be attached to them – acting as a host.
In layman’s term, use of USB OTG allows those devices to switch back and forth between the roles of host and device. For instance, a mobile phone may read from removable media as the host device, but present itself as a USB Mass Storage Device when connected to a host computer.
However, not every phone has this option (of supporting an OTG), it has become more and more common since 2001 and it works with both USB-C and MicroUSB connections. As we mentioned, the feature is not available to all smartphones, in case you want to know if your device is eligible, simply download the Easy OTG Checker app that will perform the OTG check.
Some of the handsets that do support this feature are the Samsung Galaxy – S-series and Note series, OnePlus 5, Nokia 3, Xiaomi Redmi 4, Xiaomi Red Rice, Xiaomi Red Rice Note, Oppo F3, Gionee A1, Vivo V5S, itel it1516, Blackberry Z30, HTC Butterfly, HTC Butterfly S, Lenovo LePhone P770, Huawei Ascend D2, Huawei Ascend P1, Huawei Ascend P6…to mention a few.
So! How could these device be used?
1. Transfer files from one device to another – say from a smartphone to another smartphone, or from a smartphone to a tablet (vice-versa).
2. Acting as a host to charge another device – say one smartphone charging another smartphone.
3. Connect your computer peripherals such as keyboards and mice. In other words you can connect an external keyboard to your smartphone, and give a rest to the touch. Or this can be helpful if your touch sensitivities don’t work no more.
“It is worth knowing that all USB-compatible devices can be used as long as they do not require an external power supply”.
4. You can also connect a game controller to your smartphone to exclusive enjoy your mobile gaming.
5. Connect your camera to easily copy for your photos that fast. On the other hand you could control your camera right from your phone.