NEW YORK, NY - MARCH 29: Attendees use the new Samsung Galaxy S8 at the launch event, March 29, 2017 in New York City. Following the recall and discontinuation of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, the Galaxy S8 is the new flagship smartphone for Samsung. (Photo by Drew Angerer/Getty Images)
NEW YORK, NY - MARCH 29: Attendees use the new Samsung Galaxy S8 at the launch event, March 29, 2017 in New York City. Following the recall and discontinuation of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, the Galaxy S8 is the new flagship smartphone for Samsung. (Photo by Drew Angerer/Getty Images)
Advertisement Advertisement  

According to the latest research from Strategy Analytics, Samsung Galaxy S8 becomes the world’s best-selling Android smartphone model in the second quarter (Q2) of 2017.

Samsung managed to ship 10.2 million units of Galaxy S8 (2.8% market share) and 9.0 million units of Galaxy S8+ (2.5% market share), together accounting for 19.2 million (5.3% market share) units.

“Samsung’s Galaxy S8 has instantly become the world’s most popular Android smartphone model, due to its attractive curved-screen design, a rich portfolio of software apps, and best-in-class retail distribution across dozens of countries,” the research firm said in its report.

Talking about the other Android smartphone-maker, Xiaomi managed to make the list of top-selling smartphones with its Redmi 4A smartphone.

“Xiaomi Redmi 4A shipped 5.5 million units for fifth place and 2 percent (precisely, 1.5 percent) market share worldwide in Q2 2017. Xiaomi is becoming wildly popular across Asia. Xiaomi is now the fourth largest smartphone vendor in China and the second biggest across India. Xiaomi is selling a large volume of smartphones through online channels, with key distribution partners such as Flipkart and JD,” Linda Sui; Director at Strategy Analytics said in a press statement.

However, despite the impressive performance by Samsung, just like previous quarter iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus remained the best-selling smartphone models in terms of global shipments. The Cupertino-based company managed to ship 16.9 million units of the iPhone 7 and 15.1 million units of the iPhone 7 Plus during Q2 2017.

“We estimate Apple iPhone 7 shipped 16.9 million units and captured 5 percent marketshare worldwide in Q2 2017. The iPhone 7 remains the world’s most popular smartphone model overall, due to a compelling blend of user-friendly design, extensive supporting apps, and widespread retail presence for the device. Apple iPhone 7 Plus, with its bigger screen and higher pricing, shipped 15.1 million units for second place and 4 percent marketshare worldwide in Q2 2017. Apple today accounts for two of the world’s top five smartphone models,” Juha Winter; Senior Analyst at Strategy Analytics said in a press statement.

Exhibit 1: Global Smartphone Shipments & Marketshare by Model in Q2 2017

Global Smartphone Shipments by Model (Millions of Units) Q2 ’16 Q2 ’17
1. Apple iPhone 7 0.0 16.9
2. Apple iPhone 7 Plus 0.0 15.1
3. Samsung Galaxy S8 0.0 10.2
4. Samsung Galaxy S8+ 0.0 9.0
5. Xiaomi Redmi 4A 0.0 5.5
Rest of Market 341.5 303.7
Total 341.5 360.4
Global Smartphone Marketshare by Model (% of Total) Q2 ’16 Q2 ’17
1. Apple iPhone 7 0.0% 4.7%
2. Apple iPhone 7 Plus 0.0% 4.2%
3. Samsung Galaxy S8 0.0% 2.8%
4. Samsung Galaxy S8+ 0.0% 2.5%
5. Xiaomi Redmi 4A 0.0% 1.5%
Rest of Market 100.0% 84.3%
Total 100.0% 100.0%
Total Growth YoY (%) 1.0% 5.5%
Source: Strategy Analytics