During a press media cocktail that was held at the Kampala Serena hotel, Reach a Hand Uganda, in partnership with its sponsors led by JUMP by Vodafone Uganda together with NBS Television, Segal Family Foundation, to mention a few announced the 2017 nominees of the Young Achievers Awards. These awards are a Reach a Hand project that rewards Innovation and Excellence, and Inspiring the next generation of world leaders.
The winners of each of the 7 categories attracted nominations from the public in the categories that included; Business, Outstanding Sport’s Personality, Creative Arts (Fashion), Creative Arts (Music), Creative Arts (Photo and Film), Innovation and ICT, Media and Journalism Excellence, Social Entrepreneurship, and finally Farming and Agro-Processing.
“We are pleased to announce this year’s nominees who have been selected by distinguished Judges who brought their industry knowledge and category specific skill sets to assess the nominees and choose the finalists for the Young Achievers Awards.” said Humphrey Nabimanya, the Team Leader & Founder of Reach A Hand Uganda, during the event.
The finalists were selected by two panels of judges. The first round which composed of category judges who assessed the top ten nominees in their respective categories and later the audit judges who selected a winner out of each of the categories that attracted nominations from the public.
“We congratulate all the nominees in the different categories. These young people are the next generation of leaders in their chosen fields of specialization and Vodafone is proud to be part of their story” said Progress Chisenga, Marketing Director Vodafone Uganda.
The nominees saw the likes of Uganda Cranes’ football star Farouk Miya being nominated in the Outstanding Sports Personality, also big names in Uganda’s music industry; Eddie Kenzo, Sheebah Kalungi, Geo Steady, and the Ghetto Kids who have got their name out to the world for their street dancing and also recently performing alongside Morocco-American based; French Montana – in the Creative Arts (Music) category. In one other category that was Creative Arts (Fashion), Brian Ahumuza of Abryanz Collection was nominated alongside Anita Beryl of Beryl Quoture – the category has to big names in the fashion industry and looks like it will be tight decision for the judges.
— @BrianAhumuza (@AbryanzOfficial) August 1, 2017
— Vodafone Uganda (@VodafoneUganda) August 1, 2017
During the event, Lawyer by training; Mrs. Asiimwe Jacqueline who is the lead judge said the competition is going to be a tight compared to the previous ones. She also wished all the nominees the best of luck, where she concluded by saying, “Everyone is a winner, even to those that won’t be lifting the Young Achievers Award come 12th, August 2017.”
The award ceremonial is scheduled to take place on Saturday 12th, August 2017 at the Kampala Serena Hotel – who are also currently the sponsors of the event where the President of the Republic of Uganda, His Excellency Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, will be the guest of honor.
Notably, The Young Achievers Awards was founded in 2009 by two young entrepreneurs, Awel Uwihanganye, and Ivan Kyambadde with the main objective of encouraging entrepreneurship and recognizing innovation and excellence. In reference to the 2017 Awards, the founders recognized the transition to a new generation of champions by congratulating Humphrey Nabimanya the Lead champion (and a recipient of the 2011 Award), on his leadership and stewardship of the Award going forward.
Full List of nominees of the 2017 Young Achievers Awards
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Business are:
- Dr. Richard Kalungi, Home Doctors Uganda
- Maxima Nsimenta, Founder of Livara Shea Butter Cosmetics
- Kasozi Charles Ras, SEED Uganda
- Muhammed Sekatawa, Responsinle Suppliers (U) Ltd
- Ricky Rapa Thompson, Co-Founder of SafeBoda
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Outstanding Sports Personality are:
- Farouk Miya, Uganda Cranes Midfielder
- Jacob Kiplimo, Athlete
- Marvin Odong, Rugby Cranes
- Christine Wanyana, Former Uganda Crested Cranes Captain
- Cheza Fitness Uganda
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Media and Journalism Excellence are:
- Samuel Songa Stone, STORYTELD
- Ronald Wandera, Founder ugextra.com
- Raymond Kataha, Journalist with NTV Uganda
- Abaas Mpindi, The Media Challenge Initiative
- Martha Tukahirwa, The Uganda Tourism Directory
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Innovations & ICT are:
- Gerald Otim, Chief Operation Officer & Co-Founder of Ensibuko
- Michael Kazoora, Quick Tap Solutions
- Zilla Mary Arach, Lacel Technologies
- Kevin Lubega, EasyTicket Limited
- Peace Kuteesa, Zimba Women
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Social Entrepreneurship presented by UniTED are:
- Muhammed Kisirisa aka Slum Ambassador, Executive Director of Action for Fundamental Change and Development
- Eddy Balina, Community Empowerment Center
- Jamila Mayanja, Annual Father Daughter Dance
- Ian Joseph Wabwire, Youth Connect-Uganda
- Ampumuza Dixon Kagurusi, Co-Founder of Africa Media Education Literacy Limited and TheUgandan.com
- Frank Neil Yiga, Anuel Energy Uganda
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Farming and Agro-Processing:
- Ronald Katamba, Jaguza App
- Zilla Mary Arach, Lacel Technologies
- James Kyewalabye, RASA Ltd
- Dennis Kasule, St James Secondary School Bulaga
- Fiona Rukwanzi, Mwigo holdings limited
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Creative Arts (Music) Category are:
- Edrisa Musuuza aka Eddy Kenzo
- Milege Afrojazz Band
- George William Kigozi aka Geosteady
- The Triplets Ghetto Kids
- Sheebah Karungi
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Creative Arts (Fashion) are:
- Brian Ahumuza of Abryanz Collection
- Anita Beryl of Beryl Quoture
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Creative Arts (Film and Photography) are:
- Haruna Ssebagala, Access Films
- Ssekitto Emmanuel kalule, Faces Up Uganda
- Zahara Abdul
- Ian Akankwasa aka Sasha Vybz
Editor’s Note: Follow the event on Twitter with the Hashtag #YAAwards17