The EZYAGRIC Extension mobile application has been developed by Akorion; an ICT for Agriculture company, that has been working with farmers to help engage them better in this field since 2014 – that helps farmers be able to interact with agronomists, purchase produces, know your weather, all in real time. For Instance, a farmer can take a photo of an infected crop and send it to agronomist for immediate or real time response. **Agronomical is the scientific study of soil management and crop production, including irrigation and the use of herbicides, pesticides, and fertilizers.
According to the developers of the app, it targets both the commercial farmers and smallholder farmers and input suppliers. For the smallholder farmers without the smartphones, the Akorion village agents are located near them to help them order via the agent’s phones.
These Akorion village agents; are youth that have been recruited by Akorion to be agents to help farmers in providing services to them. These youths use their smartphones to provide services to farmers including ordering for inputs via the app, collecting farmer’s biodata and geo mapping of their land.
We took the privilege of reviewing the app. Its still available for Android users only, iOS and web ought to wait.
According to Apps & Games content ratings on Google Play Store, the application’s content rating is at 3+, meaning it’s suitable for all age groups. However, bad language is not permitted. (These ratings are maintained by the International Age Rating Coalition (IARC).)
Simplicity and ease of use:
The app is precise and easy to use. On it’s opening, all you have to do is to scroll through and make your selection. Since, everything can now be found on Google, the app narrows this down for you – to content that you might need more – on treating, planting, to name a few about your farm.
Reminders can be set for future purpose. This option might help out farmers that are so busy both on and off the farm.
The app for sure does delight the user. It’s GUI (Graphical User Interface) is simple to use (user friendly), it’s a matter of choosing any option from the listed. No need to hustle through the whole app, playing around to achieve whatever you might need.
The app’s design is visually, and eye-catching, all colorful in blue and white.
What We Liked:
- The integration of Mobile Money. Farmers can purchase for produces via the app and products are delivered to their door steps. This eases the work and load of going to the market to gets these products. Cutting on costs and time in the long run.
- Easy to navigate.
- User Interface (UI) favors the end users.
- Simple and precise.
What We Didn’t Like:
- Doesn’t validate the input phone number, for security purposes.
- Language barrier considering that the app is meant for everyone’s use and not limited.
- Requires internet for usage. In my opinion, I don’t think this would favor more people in the rural areas. Thus, It would have been data-free.
- Has more of written than visual content.
- The Farmer and Village Agent as users of the app, have the same content. Thus, what’s the use of having two accounts if they all access the same information.
- The responsiveness of the app is so slow.
Editor’s Note: Download the EZYAGRIC Extension app from Play Store and try it out for yourself. This might help you boost your farming skills.