Following the Galaxy Note 7 battery fires, rumors had it the South Korean smartphone giants were going to discontinue the Note series. It was until the company’s Mobile Chief Koh Dong-jin cleared it out that it wasn’t planning on putting an end on its Note series.
Koh told CNET that the Note series has a lot of loyalists, and the company plans to unveil the successor of the Note 7 despite the infamous explosion incidents that tarnished the name of the series. He further said that, “I will bring back a better, safer and very innovative Note 8.”
The sought of putting behind the biggest product safety failures as they prepared to launch the newest flagships to the S-series – which happened in March during Unpacked event in New York.
Now, according to online reports, as per the company’s first quarter financial report, it seems like Samsung will be releasing the Galaxy Note 8 in the second half of 2017. The announcement was made when the company was announcing its quarterly results for the quarter ended March 31 on Thursday.
Usually the South Korean company announces its Note series flagship smartphones ahead of Apple’s smartphones but we expect the Note 8 to launch later in August as this sits well within the regular launch timeline for the Note series smartphones.
About the Note 7, Samsung last month reported confirmed it plans of selling refurbished versions of the phablet. And as of yesterday, the firm confrimed the phablets will arrive in June and will be called the Samsung Galaxy Note 7R – where R stands for Refurbished, and is said to feature smaller batteries either 3,000mAh or 3,200mAh than the 3,500mAh battery it originally had.
According to online reports, the refurbished phablet will be priced at USD$620 (roughly 2,263,000UGX) and will be made available starting in its home country (South Korea) before going global. Originally, the phablet was priced at USD$875 (roughly 3,193,750UGX).
It will be interesting to see how the company will approach the device launch and release this time around.