Facebook Messenger, earlier this week begun rolling out its end-to-end message encryption to everyone, globally, as promised back in July.
The “Secret Conversations” functionality is now available for it’s one billion monthly active users, according to confirmations from Wired. However much it’s secret, you can’t share GIFs and Videos during your conversations, but you can still share and use pictures and stickers.
1. Here’s how to enable it, If you want to start a new encrypted conversation:
- Tap the new conversation icon at the top right.
- Tap “Secret” in the top right.
- Choose your recipient and begin your secret messaging.
2. If you want to turn an on-going conversation into an encrypted Secret Conversation:
- Open the message thread.
- Tap their name at the top of your screen.
- Tap “Secret Conversation” to switch it over.
If you don’t see those options, it could mean the recipient doesn’t have the current version of Facebook Messenger, thus, they will have to update their app for secret conversations to work.
Unlike other social media platforms like; WhatsApp and Viber, where all messages encrypted automatically, messengers users will have to activate end-to-end encryption for every new message.