Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA) has secured World Bank funding that is mainly targeted at increasing opportunities for economic growth under the Kampala Institutional and Infrastructure Development Project (KIIDP).
The secured funding has two components; support to City Wide Road Infrastructure and associated investments, and Institutional and Systems Development Support. The second component is intended to strengthen the capacity of KCCA as an autonomous corporate body to deliver on its statutory mandates. Under the latter component, KCCA intends to develop two systems; a City Address Model and a Computer Aided Mass Property Valuation & Management System.
Because of these developments, data growth is envisaged to more than double what is currently available. Data management and its safety will became a very critical factor in the achievement of KCCAs business objectives.
As thus, the organization is recruiting three database administrators, with software development skills as provided for in the KIIDP 2 project appraisal document, to supplement on the existing development team which is already stretched.
The job specification for the required three staff is described below;
The DBA is expected to perform the following tasks among others
- Performance tuning, ongoing maintenance, backup/ recovery, security, auditing, production support, migration.
- On-Call support and architecting adequate technical solutions that best suits the client’s requirements and needs.
- Collaborates, coordinates and cohesively works with Database Administrators and Applications/ Business teams to support enterprise applications.
- Creates processes and procedures to minimize any potential downtime scenarios.
- Creates standards for SQL Server database administration that supports the use of optimal database server resources and performance and aligns these with KCCA ICT strategic needs.
- Monitors database/ application growth and server resources to ensure optimum performance and availability and provide accurate status updates to management.
- Routinely evaluates/ implements improved methods or processes for administering and maintaining databases and servers.
- All other duties as may be assigned by ICT management.
Scope of Work
The DBA is responsible for managing the SQL Server relational database management system hosted on the Microsoft Windows 2008/ 2008R2/ 2012 platform running on Physical and Virtual hardware platforms utilizing VMWare in a 24 x 7 environment.
The Supervisor DBA works in coordination with team DBA’s and software developers , as well as other departmental resources to best meet database administration responsibilities while strongly supporting department and organization goals.
The following outputs are expected from the DBA;
- Institutional data management plan, capacity management plan.
- A stable, secure and resilient database environment.
- A log or database of all operational events, alerts and alarms.
- A set of operational scripts.
- A resilience and fail-over testing schedule.
- A set of operational work schedules.
- A set of operational management tools.
- Management reports and information.
- Exception reviews and reports.
- Review and audit reports.
- A secure Operational Document Library.
- Honors degree in any of the following areas: Computer Science, Mathematics or equivalent.
- A post graduate qualification in computer science, computer engineering or equivalent will be added advantage.
- Professional certification such as Microsoft Certified Solution Developer (MCSD), Oracle Certified Developer (OCD), MCDBA, or equivalent will be an added advantage.
Knowledge and Experience
- Three or more years DBA experience with Microsoft SQL Server (2008 or greater) in a production environment is required. Experience configuring, implementing and supporting large highly available SQL Server environments, including experience with Failover Cluster and database mirroring/ always on is also required.
- Familiarity with operating systems such as Windows Server, Unix/Linux; Database platforms such as MS SQL server and Oracle RDBMS; and Data Warehousing methodologies. Precise i3 or similar SQL Diagnostic Monitoring system for reporting is required.
- Knowledge of disaster recovery principles and practices, including planning, testing, backup/ restore using disk-based backup solutions.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Customer focused and sensitive to high quality services.
- Able to work under a high stress environment.
- Timely problem solving skills with ability to cope with multiple demands and extremely precise, detailed and confidential work and ability to work collaboratively with other internal departments and entities.
Initial contract of 6 month with a possibility of renewal.
Negotiable and Attractive.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should hand deliver application letters and curriculum vitae to the following address not later than 9th September 2016 by 4:00 pm (local time). The detailed term of reference can be found on www.kcca.go.ug.
The Head of Procurement and Disposal Unit, Kampala Capital City Authority,
Plot 1-3 Apollo Kaggwa Road City Hall,
1st Floor Room B114A,
Facsimile number: +256-(0) 204 660016/15