The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization founded in 1956 that works in more than 30 countries throughout the world. DRC provides direct assistance to conflict-affected populations refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs) and host communities across the world. The organization has a global annual turnover of US$ 200 million. In Uganda, DRC has been working for the protection of refugees and IDPs since 1999. DRC has actively protected men, women and children who were displaced due to wars within Uganda and in the wider Great Lakes region, and provided them with sustainable livelihoods solutions and other basic services. DRC Uganda has presence in West Nile, Adjumani, Kiryandongo, Kyaka, Acholi sub-region and Karamoja.
With the expansion in size of the DRC/ DDG Uganda, robust support is required to maintain a standard level of service to the country office and field offices as such skilled IT support will be required to implement and support in the main office and respective field locations.
Purpose of the Job:
The IT Officer will offer overall support and implementation of Information Technology strategies in DRC Uganda operation. He/She will ensure the policies and standards are applied consistently in all offices. The position will work in close cooperation with the Regional IT Manager for Horn of Africa and Yemen.
- Help Desk
- Function as the main point of contact for IT related issues in the use of computers, software and other communication equipment.
- Troubleshoot/diagnose problems and react accordingly.
- Advise and instruct staff (users) on IT best practices, internet and e-mail usage and appropriate course of action where problems are encountered.
- Liaise with Uganda Head of Finance and Administration & Regional IT Officer on IT equipment that need repair/replacement.
- Prepare an inventory schedule of all IT equipment and software in use. Carry out simple and brief, on the job training for staff as required.
- Manage system resources.
- Carrying out computer audit trails.
- Perform general repairs on some IT equipment and peripherals.
- Support Office 365 package ensuring;
- Staff are logged in into Lync
- Document sharing is done appropriately in SharePoint
- Allocate respective rights/Privileges for the cloud system
- Effective backup on OneDrive.
- Database/Networking/ Internet
- Monitor organisation WAN for problems.
- Troubleshoot internet issues in liaison with the relevant ISP.
- Liaise with Regional IT Manager regarding issues/faults.
- Administrator oversees computer networks to ensure that they function smoothly. Install all new hardware, systems, and software for networks.
- Install, configure, and maintain network services, equipment and devices.
- Supports administration of servers and server clusters located at head office remotely. Plans and supports network and computing infrastructure.
- Perform troubleshooting analysis of servers, workstations and associated systems. Documents network problems and resolution for future reference.
- Monitors system performance and implements performance tuning. Oversee software and network security.
- Monitor bandwidth utilization amongst the offices and users.
- Support the M&E evaluation team in data management.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Bachelors degree in Information Technology or other related field from a recognized institution
- At least 4 years experience working in an IT support environment
- Experience of working with networked computing systems/windows TCP/IT networking experience
- Experience working with LINUX / Windows servers.
- Knowledge of and competence in Microsoft operating system and office suite High level of hardware/software remote trouble shooting experience
- Quick in learning new systems
- Demonstrate a customer-focused, motivated and pro-active approach to your work Excellent communication skills, and fluent in spoken English
- Strong communication (written & spoken) and interpersonal skills
- Strong planning, organization and problem solving skills with ability to work hands-on, independently, and within team in a difficult work environment.
- Able to work under harsh and extreme conditions, good judgment and problem solving skills
- Proven ability to manage large varied workloads and deal constructively with stress and periods with long hours.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision Proactive, stable and robust character and a good team player.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations at all levels.
How to apply:
Application and CV Applications should be in English and include the following:
- A cover letter (1 page) in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria and salary expectations.
- Concise and accurate CV (maximum 3 pages). T
- The CV should include information about your qualification, relevant training courses, Work experience, name and contact details of 3 relevant references
Go to www.drc.dk > About DRC > Vacancies > Current Vacancies and find the job on the list and press the apply button.
The Deadline for Submission of Applications is the 16th August 2016.