DFCU bank is a fast growing commercial bank offering a variety of innovative products and services. DFCU Limited was started by the Commonwealth Development Corporation (CDC) of the United Kingdom and the Government of Uganda through the Uganda Development Corporation (UDC) under the name of Development Finance Company of Uganda Limited. Later restructuring brought in DEG (of Germany) and International Finance Corporation (IFC) as equal partners with CDC and UDC, each having a 25% stake in the company. Its objective was to support long-term development projects whose financing needs and risk did not appeal to the then existing financial commercial lending institutions.
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head of IT & Bank Support
The Senior Applications Developer will support the Bank in the design, development and implementation of business applications and system integration activities within the Bank. As a specialist in application development, the incumbent will be responsible for the entire life cycle of the application development process including analysis, design, coding, testing, documentation and maintenance of application programs, integrated systems, and software solutions. The job holder will have hands-on specialized knowledge of appropriate programming languages and development tools and the ability to complete complex development and programming tasks independently. He or She will provide leadership and project direction to other staff members on the development team.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the development of new businessapplications, customizations and system integration solutions, working closely with business systems analysts, architects and other developers within the Bank.
- Actively contribute to software development and provide technical expertise in designing and implementing secure enterprise-level solutions through the transition of theseapplications into support phase.
- Participate in the gathering to userrequirement and write software programs to develop automated solutions based on clear functional requirements derived from approved user/business requirements.
- Prepare system documentation to provide user support for programs and for production/operating procedures.
- Develop programming code and software modifications using appropriate languages and tools to provide responsive and innovative solutions, and new functionality in enterprise-wide and/or complex specialized systems.
- Conduct other required implementations such as installation,configuration, customization, integration and data migration.
- Analyze user requirements andapplication needs, determine and evaluate potential solutions, develop system specifications and requirements, and design application programs to meet the requirements.
- Design integrated solutions which may includeapplications, databases, networks and related systems.
- Regularly interact with vendors and other strategic business partners to understand and recommend data interchange formats, APIs and messaging formats so as to achieve seamless integration.
- Prepare and execute test cases including debugging of subsystems and components in Test and Production environments.
- Actively participate in efforts of knowledge sharing & skills transfer within the Bank and mentoring the team ofApplication
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the DFCU Bank SeniorApplications Developer job opportunity should hold a bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering or Information systems.
- Possession of a Master’s degree in computer science, software engineering or Information technology will be an added advantage.
- At least seven years’ experience in designing and implementing small or medium-sized software systems and components.
- Demonstrated ability in managingmultiple projects and objectives simultaneously and efficiently
- Proven experience with Agile software development methodology (e.g. TDD, continuous integration, automated tests etc.)
- Ability to communicate the design and implementation of software systems including relevant strengths/weaknesses and reasons for implementation decisions.
- Advance experience developing data-drivenapplications utilizing significant relational database engines as part of the over all application Experience with Oracle & MS SQL is required; however PostgreSQL or MySQL is desirable.
- Working knowledge and experience in administering Windows, Unix, Linux operating systems and at least twoapplications, database, messaging or web server systems.
- Proven ability to achieve stretched goals in an innovative and fast-paced environment.
- Proven experience in solving challenging technical problems.
- Excellent problem solving, organizational and analytical skills.
- Good task estimation and prioritization skills.
- Good report writing and communication skills.
How to Apply:
All candidates who so wish to join the banking sector in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to send their applications with detailed CVs including present position and copies of relevant professional/academic certificates to: Vacanciesbank@dfcugroup.com
Application Deadline is 27th July 2016