Apple Inc. yesterday previewed iOS 10, the biggest release ever of the world’s most advanced mobile operating system (OS), featuring a huge update to Messages that delivers more expressive and animated ways to message friends and family, like stickers and full-screen effects.
“iOS 10 is our biggest release ever, with delightful new ways to express yourself in Messages, a native app for Home automation and beautifully redesigned apps for Music, Maps, and News that are more intuitive and more powerful, making everything you love about your iPhone and iPad even better,” Craig Federighi, Apple’s Senior VP of Software Engineering said in a statement.
iOS 10 introduces the ability for Siri to do more by working with apps, beautifully redesigned Maps, Photos, Apple Music, News apps, and the Home app, delivering a simple and secure way to manage home automation products in one place.
“iOS 10 adds Siri intelligence into QuickType and Photos, automates your home with the new Home app and opens up Siri, Maps, Phone and Messages to developers while increasing security and privacy with powerful technologies like Differential Privacy.” Craig said
Messaging is the most frequently used iOS app, and with iOS 10 it is more expressive and fun which includes; powerful animations – such as balloons, confetti or fireworks that can take over an entire screen to celebrate a special occasion, invisible ink to send a message to friends and family.
One other feature comes to photos, iOS 10 helps you rediscover favorite and forgotten occasions from your photo library by automatically surfacing them in Memories.
Memories scans all your photos & videos in your phone and finds favorite and forgotten events and trips you have ever made, people and then presents them in a beautiful collection.
Memories uses advanced computer vision to group the people, places and things inside your images such as; buildings, trees, the environment around you, into albums with on-device facial, object and scene recognition.
With the beautiful redesigned maps in iOS 10, makes it even simpler and more intuitive to use. Open to developers with new extensions, apps like OpenTable, which can integrate bookings right into maps. Services like Uber can make it easier for users to book a ride, without ever leaving the maps app.
iOS 10 also features a redesigned News app with a New For You, organized into distinct sections that make it easier to find stories, support for breaking news notifications and paid subscriptions.
Additional iOS 10 Features
- Siri intelligence brings new QuickType features, including contextual predictions to surface relevant information based on location, calendar availability or contacts; and predictive typing supports multiple languages without switching keyboards.
- Phone adds integration for third-party VoIP calls, voicemail transcription and a new caller ID extension for spam alerts.
- Built-in app updates include Safari split-view for iPad, Notes collaboration and Live Photos editing.
- Apple Pay can now be used to make easy, secure, and private purchases on participating websites using Safari, in addition to paying in-stores and within apps.
- Bedtime Alarm in the Clock app lets you set a regular sleep schedule and receive bedtime reminders.
iOS 10 will also be available this fall as a free software update for iPhone 5 and later, all iPad Air and iPad Pro models, iPad 4th generation, iPad mini 2 and later, and iPod touch 6th generation.