Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is an international non-profit research organization based in New Haven with offices in New York, Washington and worldwide.
IPA works with development partners and academic researchers to create and evaluate approaches to solving development problems, to communicate “what works” in development and to scale up successful projects in a variety of fields, including health, education, microfinance, governance and agriculture.
- The Senior Data Manager coordinates his activities with the Researcher Manager in order to maintain and improve IPA’s quality protocols for rigorous survey-based data collection in Uganda.
- The Senior Data Manager helps drive data-centered innovations in analysis and visualization of research findings.
The Senior Data Manager reports to and falls under the supervision of the Research Programmer.
- Co-lead the electronic programming of surveys in Excel, using Open Data Kit (ODK)/SurveyCTO.
- Help improve, standardize and automate IPA’s data flow and data quality tools, using STATA and Python programming.
- Support the aggregation, cleaning, analysis and visualization of survey-based geospatial metadata, using QGIS or ArcGIS.
- Train IPA staff in the use of data collection software.
- Assist with programming work during field activities as is necessary, based on project needs. This may include travel to and work from the project side.
- Collaborate with software (i.e., ODK/SurveyCTO) developers and other users to develop new programming methods.
- Consult and assist computer users to define and resolve problems in running computer programs.
- Fill in as needed on any other tasks, such as data entry and cleaning.
The above job descriptions are subject to the discretion of your supervisors, who may vary the scope of duties.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degrees in Computer Science, Information Technology, Statistics, Mathematics or equivalent.
- At least three years’ work experience in a similar position, preferably with an International NGO or UN Agency, with demonstrated experience in data management or working with large datasets.
- Strong proficiency in Excel (advanced functions, pivot tables, macros) for survey programming.
- Experience using STATA required (advanced functions, programming experience a plus).
- Experience in geospatial data visualization using QGIS or Arc GIS is a plus.
- Experience with a scripting language such as Python a plus.
- Attention to detail and highly organized.
- Able to manage multiple projects at once, with strong multi-tasking and time-management skills.
How to apply:
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line: Type the position advertised, “Senior Data Manager“.
Attach ONLY your CV and cover letter expressing interest / fit for the role.
Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization.
IPA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE), adhering to the laws that prohibit discrimination in the terms and conditions of employment. The IPA EOE policy provides equal employment, volunteer, and service opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, national origin or ancestry, religion, creed, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, marital status, veteran status, disability (including HIV/AIDS), or any other status protected by applicable law.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted as required to bring the original copies of their academic certificates.
Deadline: 29th April 2016