The series include:
Challenge: Developing an app for iOS, Android, web, or Windows that uses the “WILL SDK” with a focus on productivity, writing, games, or other novel uses of digital ink.
Global Prize: The top two WILL SDK projects from all over the globe will win the following:
- Selected as finalists in the global Wacom Inkathon.
- All expense paid trip to CES in January 2017.
- Finalists will then pitch for a chance to win $10,000, $5,000, or $2500 prizes.
2. Code4Impact Award
The Challenge is Simple, AngelHack’s nonprofit arm, “Code For A Cause“, is challenging superhero coders to build a technology that will have a positive impact on the world, people, or environment.
At the end of the 9th Global Series, the top three Code4Impact Award Winners will be invited to the AngelHack HACKcelerator Program.
One of these three lucky teams will be flown out to San Francisco, for their 5th Annual Global Demo Day and will pitch to some of the largest Accelerators and Investors in the world, while meeting with leading social entrepreneurs.
The #SmartCityNairobi challenge is aimed at the developer community in Nairobi in conjunction with Twitter and the iHub.
Developers will have the chance to create a solution for the city using Twitter’s API to solve a problem in the city. A jury of experts during demos at AngelHack Nairobi will choose three semi-finalists who will win $2,000 each per team onsite and also get the opportunity to compete for the ultimate prize of up to $10,000.
By joining the AngelHack Hackathon Series, you are becoming part of a global, connected community of coders, innovators, and change-makers.
Beyond that, an AngelHack Hackathon offers the following:
- Games and activities to keep you PUMPED.
- The opportunity to work with other like-minded individuals.
- Awesome food, and LOTS of it. A hackathon is nothing without tons of food.
- The opportunity to learn some new skill sets.
How the hackathon will be judged
To win an AngelHack Hackathon, you will have to demo (No PowerPoint Presentations are expected… it’s strictly “Live Demos’) your product for at least 30 seconds, but don’t worry if your project is still not 100% perfected.
Projects will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Impact: How impactful will this solution be for it’s target audience? Is it scalable?
- Creativity: How original is this solution?
- Design: How well designed is this solution, from front end through to UI/UX?
- Execution: How well executed is this solution from start to finish?
Who can attend?
Anyone and Everyone! AngelHack attendees typically consist of junior developers looking to improve their skills, senior developers looking to expand their horizons, designers of all skill-sets, and serious entrepreneurs that can add value to teams.
The 7 AngelHack Hackathorn rules:
1. Fresh Code
Coding will start at the same time. This is done to keep things fair. No one is allowed to come in and build on top of previous projects. It’s cool to work on designs beforehand, digital mockups, open source frameworks, and anything else available to everyone, but keep things within fair limits.
2. Code Review
Winning teams will be subject to a code-review at some point following the event or immediately before winning. This is to ensure that all code used is in fact fresh.
3. Ownership and IP
Teams have full ownership of everything they build at our events and are free to do with it as they wish.
4. Team Size
Teams of up to 5 humans are allowed. You can also add 1 cyborg, Furby, drone, or Sphero.
Each hackathon has its individual hackathon.io page, which projects should be submitted on. Submissions take place after 24 hours of pure hacking.
6. DEMO your Hack
You must demo your hack in order to present. “No slide-decks or PowerPoints” will be allowed. Two minute presentation and one minute Q&A from Judges.
7. Have a good time!
Prizes just make hackathons more fun. That’s why each year, AngelHack teams up with their sponsors to bring you an awesome set of prizes.
The Grand Price:
- An exclusive invite to AngelHack HACKcelerator Program.
- A 12-week Curriculum to turn your hackathon idea into a startup reality.
- A diverse network of both local and global mentors.
- Weekly guest speakers.
- A chance to fly to Silicon Valley for our Annual Global Demo Day and participate in a week of extensive pitch training!
Amazon Web Services (AWS) Price:
- $100 in AWS Credits per person through AWS Activate.
- AWS Free Usage Tier.
- 1 month AWS Support at Business level.
- AWS Technical Essentials Online Training ($600 value).
- AWS Business Essentials Online Training ($600 value).
- 80 credits for Self-paced labs Training ($80 value).
- 1:1 Office Hours with AWS Solutions Architects.
- Access to the Startup Blog and Startup Forum.
- Special “Self-starter” Third-Party offers.
Register for AWS.
All those that shall participate in the hackthorn shall be judged by: Lance Weisser; Principal Designer of Weisser Consultation, Bear Douglas; Lead, Developer Advocacy at Twitter, Ali Parr; Head of DPR International at Twitter, Toro Orero; Managing Partner at DraperDarkFlow and Juliana Chahoud; Developer Advocate at Twitter.
The event is sponsored by: Amazon Web Service (AWS), Twitter, HPE Havan On Demand, Wacom, Tropo and Code for a Cause.
Here’s what you can expect if you have never been at any AngelHack Hackathon.
Registration to attend the event.