The previous week tech saw some updates from MTN Uganda, OLX, Apple and Psy. PC Tech magazine also interviewed the ThoughtWorks CTO among other stories. Here is a roundup of the previous week(1/12 – 7/12).
1. OLX officially launched a free Online Classified portal in Uganda.
2. The Kenya Government introduced an ICT Internship program.
3. Twitter Introduced a tool that let’s you know who the first person to tweet something, similar to Ripples on Google+.
5. Ghana abolished all taxes on imported phones a move we think will increase smartphone penetration in the country.
6. On the spotlight we talked to Thoughtworks Chief Technology Officer about the way the company develops applications, the future of software development and women in technology.
7. In Uganda, there were allegations that MTN Uganda was clashing with UCC over the change of short codes. These allegations and some customer complaints were addressed by the MTN Uganda CEO. MTN Uganda also took control of the content management systems to reduce on SMS spamming of their customers.
8.The Nigerian Telecommunication Limited company was sold off, still in Nigeria, Airtel Nigeria unveiled an entrepreneurial initiative named ‘Catapult-a-Startup,’ a platform which aims to inspire innovation and assist start-up mobile app developers towards actualizing their business goals and dreams.
9. Psy the Korean Singer broke the YouTube Counter and his song Gangnam Style now has more than 2.1 Billion views.
Hope you enjoyed the week, have a great week ahead.