iphone_2338311bApple is set to investigate reports that a 23-year-old Chinese woman was killed by an electric shock from her iPhone 5. This is the second incident involving a smartPhone. Last week, a Galaxy S3 exploded on its own, injuring Woman.

Ma Ailun, who is a flight attendant with China Southern Airlines, was electrocuted and killed in her home in Xinjiang last Thursday when she answered a call while the phone was being charged. She fell to the floor when she picked up the call, Ma’s sister says Ma had bought the iPhone in December at an official Apple store and was using the original charger when the incident took place.

A spokeswoman for Apple said the company was “deeply saddened” to learn of the “tragic incident” and offered their condolences to the family. “We will fully investigate and co-operate with authorities in this matter,” the statement said.

Johnny Sin Kin-on, a professor at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, said: “There is a risk using an electrical device while its installed battery is being charged, be it a shaver or a phone.”

Dr Peter Chiu Ping-kuen, head of the department of electronic and information engineering at the Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education (Sha Tin), agreed, but added:  “We do not know the circumstances of the incident and it is not suitable to jump to any conclusions at this stage.”

A separate media report quoted a senior physics teacher at a Nanjing high school as saying that people will feel an electric shock at about 36 volts, but that mobile phones have a low output of only 3 to 5 volts.

“However, if the charger or the circuit has a problem, such as a broken wire, it can lead to a shock of 220 volts,” the teacher said.

Police are investigating the case but have not confirmed whether a mobile phone was involved.

Source: Bangkok Post