The firm had until Wednesday three weeks to reach the deadline, registered 95 per cent of its subscribers but warned unregistered SIM cards that the deadline will be honoured and disconnection will continue.
Vodacom Managing Director, Rene Meza, said the company was committed to comply with the Electronic and Postal Communications Act of 2010, that stipulates registration of all mobile phone numbers in the country.
“So far we have registered over 95 per cent of our subscribers and we have increased our efforts to achieve the target by 100 per cent,” said Mr Meza, hinting that disconnection of subscribers aligns with the law that requires communication service providers to keep updated records of their customers.
Vodacom was by the end of last year leading the telecommunication industry in terms of SIM cards registration, with 9.35 million subscribers. Airtel, Tigo and Zantel had 8.35 million, 6.37 million and 3.08 million subscribers respectively.
Source: Daily News