Facebook with more than 845 million active users has established its leadership position in 126 out of 137 countries analyzed (in this edition I’ve added Uganda).
Europe is the largest contingent on Facebook with 232 million users, North America has 222 million, Asia 219 million users (Facebook Ads Platform).
Countries where Facebook is not the leader:
- Russian territories where there is an ongoing battle between the two main local players: V Kontakte and Odnoklassniki.
- China where QZone claims 560 million users, followed by Tencent Weibo (337 million) e Sina Weibo (334 million).
- Iran where it’s hard to access Facebook due to state censorship
- Vietnam and Latvia still likely to use local social networks: Zing and Draugiem respectively
- Caveat: Google+ stats are not displayed by Google Trends for Websites
Top 3 Social Networking Sites (June 2012 – according to Google Trends for Websites)
If we take a look over Facebook’s shoulders we can see the battle for the second position between Twitter and LinkedIn or, especially in Europe, between Badoo and Twitter.